Thursday, February 7, 2013

Brine Thy Swine!

There are some tricks to making sure that your meats are tasty when you sit down to eat them. Just like you marinate chicken, you need to brine your pork. Bub is the one that taught me this business about brining swine and he learned it from his brother-in-law. Bub makes the best ribs. Hands down. (More on that later) And he always brines them overnight.

So, I applied the same principle to pork chops. Here's the deal with making a brine. It has always got to have vinegar of some sort in it. And then all the rest is just extra. Milk also helps make the meat more tender. For my brine I used
brine ingredients

  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 tbsp garlic
  • 1/2 tbsp poultry seasoning (yes, I know.)
  • salt and pepper
Pour all this in a zip loc with your pork chops and let it chill for several hours.

Set it and Forget it

When I get ready to cook them, I take them straight out and proceed with it- either to the grill or cast iron skillet or oven or whatever. In this instance, they went on the grill.

All the better because of the brine!




No comments:

Post a Comment